Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Cat Prints

For my first independent art project I decided to venture back into printmaking after a summer of static. Not really having much of a grand inspiration, I just flipped through the photos in my phone in hopes of a glimmer of interest. I landed on a picture of my aunt's cat that I had bonded with over the summer and created a simple linoleum print from it. I spent one Saturday printing 106 of these cats in an array of color combinations from the blue, red, and black ink. How I was to display my cats was an extreme mystery to me until Ms. Slaughter showed me the space I had for display. I laid 100 of my prints on the ground and spend a while arranging them until I settled on two panels of 4 x 10 each, totaling 80 prints, moving in a gradient from corner to corner. I taped the backs of the prints together to create the grid.

I suppose to analyze this piece, I would comment on how it is a bit of a color study to remind myself how color interact and how they bring out the style of the piece in different ways, and the power of a repeated image can have on the viewer. (Final presentation image to come.)

My focus during my independent study will be in exploring relationships in structure of a piece and how the non-routine colors can add emphasis to a subject. 




3 comments:

  1. Yes, multiple images can have quite and impact on the viewer. This is a good starting place, and your idea is broad enough that I can imagine you exploring through different media. You mentioned creating a video about relationships. I would love to see how you could weave the idea of color into that project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, I love your cat prints! They are a great way to start the year. I am looking forward to what else you create this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cat print project had an impact right from the moment you started laying out your prints. It was part of the project seeing you involved with the project and available to talk to passers by. I enjoyed talking to you about the installation and your other independent studies: Russian and your work in the Archives. I'm looking forward to this year!

    ReplyDelete