Sunday, April 20, 2014

Lightening Flower Girl

The below piece is one that I have been working on for the last couple weeks. My idea for composition changed many times during the creation. I first started with just the top two panels of canvas doing the lightening. I then decided to add more panels on the bottom because it felt unfinished and I wanted to include a figure. When painting Sonya I ignored depth but kept the shadows to have a surreal tone. She is meant to be one with the lightening, but also a completely different mood as she looks incredibly solemn compared to the action overhead. The flower with the fallen petals sort of hints to the "he loves me, he love me not" girlish game, but the viewer does not know which option the last petal falls under. The piece communicates an eerie ambivalence and will probably be the focal point of my senior show with some of the work that I consider more portrait-like than political or psychologically twisted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment