Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Hairy

A painting front the first semester that I am not entirely satisfied with is related to the magazine collage I posted about previously.


This image was meant to represent enigmatic sexuality of women. Her eyes are blacked out to void her of her actual personality and being, it even appears to be subtle, as if she is okay to have her identity reside in her outer appearance. Her hair is long, meant to be seemingly infinite as it cascades across her body and off whatever ledge she is sitting on.

I once read a demeaning advice column that recommended wearing your hair down on the first date, because a man is (unconsciously) attracted to healthy hair because it implies fertility. In addition, I was reflecting on the trend of girls posting pictures of themselves on the internet with their hair being the focal point, going down to their hips or laid across their chests suggestively covering their breasts. Although, my model is a bit more elegant than those girls.

I love the color variance in her body. Alas, this is really the only thing I love about my actual execution of the idea.

I feel the background is bland, not simple in an elegant way. The hair lacks that luster I wanted to accomplish and the extension of her hair across her legs (as my friend lovingly pointed out) looks a bit like incredibly long public hair, excuse my bluntness.

1 comment:

  1. It's hard when the image in our mind does not match the final piece! Even though this didn't turn out as planned, I can see it is a meaningful piece to you. Perhaps you'll those things that you're not happy with will influence your next piece. From your post I can also see how connected it is to your larger body of work. I feel like your descriptions in your posts add to my understanding of your work in a great way. Have you thought about including some short write up (either for each piece or for a group) when you display these?

    ReplyDelete