Sunday, January 19, 2014

Editing

My concentration isn't exactly obvious. I don't like to limit myself to a particular topic, because this seems unnatural, being a teenager, which means "growing up" or at least changing your perception around perpetually.

So, I've just been painting whatever I have felt like. A common strain throughout my work has been having people be the subjects. In some, I experiment with "pop-art" concepts and designs, and in others they seem a bit more philosophical. I'm not really sure if this is the pure true, but it is what I currently perceive. I also find a lot of my art to be a bit satirical, that is they deal with existing, weighty issues, while jointly mocking them.

A piece I finished after break is a self-portrait, in which I am "smoking" a lollypop. I played with the graphics a bit, having my body and hair be generally realistic, with a flat, solid shirt as well as shadow. The smoke that comes from the lollypop is realistic. My pose is reminiscent of the typical "punk pose", leaning against a wall with a cigarette. The lollypop replacement is meant to be somewhat humorous and mocking of this suave look.


3 comments:

  1. I would love to hear you talk about all of your work this way! Can you post a few more paintings and talk about elements like the pose and the combination of pop art? I really think it will make your themes more clear to you. I understand the feeling of wanting to follow your instincts and be a teenager :) You should still do that. You might just decide in the end that you don't need to display everything together. I think that this is really how most artists work. It's just that we only see the work in the galleries. We don't get to see everything that's hanging around the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly! I am really enjoying your blog, from the title to the background you chose. The vibe is definitely unique and a bit more dark and introspective than the last few blogs I've looked at. I appreciate your examination of facade and society. I'm curious what impact art can have on people when it makes them uncomfortable? What do you think? Your talent is apparent--I love the print work that you've shown on here (and on campus). I look forward to watching your journey unfold and, I would imagine, learning more about the world through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete