Friday, February 28, 2014

Politics?

Two projects:

1) I have done a black and white acrylic painting of Mariel Hemingway as Tracy from Woody Allen's Manhattan. On the top of the painting I plan to do a transfer in red of the letter Dylan Farrow wrote to the press. This painting is my exploration of the controversy surrounding Woody Allen's personal life (in particular, the unresolved accusation of child molestation of his then-partner Mia Farrow's adopted daughter, Dylan). I am torn while I watch his films as to if I can still appreciate the artistic output regardless of his questionable character. I hope this piece will illustrate the ambivalent feelings of the informed viewer. I find Tracy's character to be a bit of a projection of Dylan, as she was young (though 17 and not 7) and often manipulated by Woody Allen's character. 

2) I am printing out images of famous politicians, mainly presidents, and going to doodle on the surface of the images. Ex: Giving Joe Biden a "Mom" tattoo, or making Hilary and Bill Clinton look like hippies (again). It's just a small little side product reminiscent of graffiti and (youth's) apathy and disgust derived from the hypocritical and often obscene nature of the government elite.

This one is also inspired by my interest in playing with mixed media and other art I have seen altering photographs. Such as adding tattoos onto iconic people.

From: http://designtaxi.com/news/364044/Photoshopped-Images-Of-Famous-People-Covered-In-Beautiful-Faux-Tattoos/

1 comment:

  1. I love your thoughts on this. I also like the layering of text over images. What a powerful statement, both literally and figuratively. I feel the same way about Orson Scott Card...he's notoriously homophobic and yet I really want to read "Ender's Game". Can I emotionally separate his politics, which I disagree with, and just read the book for the book's sake? I'm not sure yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing your work when it's complete.

    ReplyDelete